Date: November 1, 2007
Venue: Chowdaiah Memorial Hall, Sadashivanagara
November 1st is a holiday in Karnataka on account of Kannada Rajyotsava (State Unification Day). After buying of some Kannada books in Sapna Book House, Gandhinagar I headed for Sadashivanagara for the Landmark Quiz 2007. I reached around 2 30 PM with already people crowding around the venue. We were three of us,
40 questions in the preliminary round were distributed across history, world music, famous personalities etc. Some visuals and audio were also in the collection of questions. From the preliminary round top 8 teams were selected for the next round on stage. Cut off for this round was a score of 28. There were 7 rounds of questions in this stage to decide the winner. Though the teams of college students and working professionals were the majority who got qualified to this round there was a team of teachers and family team of mother, son and niece. This round which dealt with teams on stage, made the audience actively participate in the quizzing process. So there were questions for audience too and if they got it right they were in for gifts from Landmark. Derek O’Brien’s rapport with the audience was too good. This was my first open quiz experience and it was memorable. The whole event lasted about 4 hours from 3 30 PM to 7 30 PM, and there not even a single moment when the show looked dull. The questions too were innovative. For example look at this: Why there was 700 percent rise pencil sales in England 2005-2006?? Hold your breath; it was for solving Sudoku puzzles!! And one of the teams (WWW) answered it too! The final battle was between two teams ‘WWW’ (Son, Mother and Niece team) and ‘QED’ (IIM guys team), with QED winning in the end. But the quizzer of the year award went to captain of WWW team, Mrs. Sushila Kamath. And the team ‘QED’ has now won this quiz 4 years in a row!! Amazing, that too in an open quiz!! And there were also prizes for the best corporate team, best school team, best team name.
Below are the list of questions which were asked in the quiz: Thanks to Shande for providing me with the questions and photographs of the quiz.
1. Ivan Nigli, MLA of Karnataka is elected from which constituency ? NOMINATED, REPRESENTS ANGLO INDIAN COMMUNITY
2. Pascal Cotte's 240 megapixel camera revealed facial hairs on the face of which women? - MONA LISA.
3. Fictional school.
4. Max Yung Sur
5. 1803 - Luke Howard - Curl of hair - locks of hair - Whats is the term used for curls of hair
6. which country in the world is largest producer of fashion diamonds , less than half a caret?
7. He rejected names Vasudeva and Jehangir for his screen name? DILIP KUMAR
8. Under the name congressmen -
9. Olympic : Honey, Seawater, Olive oil, Clothes - athletes in ancient Greek wore which one of these apart from sand on their body in Olympics? - OLIVE OIL
10. Library book - within my power - Hogwarts
11. Visual Clip - Egyptian god - RAMSEY
12. Cylindrical Caps which chefs wear - TOQUE
13. Common between Nafisa Ali, Milind Soman - SWIMMING
14. Visual Clip - Citation by President - BHARAT RATNA
15. Visual Clip - Director - ANURAG KASHYAP
16. Soups - Mohingar and Khow suey - which neighbouring country ?
17. Married most times ? - Larry King, Salman rushdie, henry VII, Oprah Winfrey - LARRY KING.
18. Who sent Tagore on his 81st birth day this note - "FOUR SOCK NOT, MAY YOU FINISH FIVE "? MAHATMA GANDHI
19. Which Akbar's Court Navratna was mudered by Bir Singh Deo on the orders of prince Salim: ABUL FAZAL
20. Dance form - embracing couple - polite society - WALTZ
21. Which Indian state capital means "land which never floods" in Marathi.? PANAJI
22. Hulidan, Dsaudan, Pidan are forms of chinese? EGGS
23. Which Asian was officiating as match referee most number of times ? RANJAN MADHUGALE
24. 1950 Angela Dhinlay - actress - uncredited : Marlyn Manroe
25. Floating Pontoon Bridge in
26. Connect i> aviator ... ii> Edible chinnesse goosberry - KIWI
27. 3 songs: common - DEV ANAND.
28. 3 songs one was of celine dione: common -
29. Audio from movie "Hum lajawab hai", identify male voices - SRK and Aryan
31. Playright - published - posthumously - SIR WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
32. Confluence of Tropic of Cancer and Longitude -
33. which famous book closes with a line " ... " ? TALE OF TWO CITIES
34. Gnagflow Trazom - 250th birth anniversary.
35. something something. MLA from Edlabad 4 times - PRATIBHA PATIL
36. Geta Kinni ... socks
37. Sir Winston Churchill said "Uneducated person Should read a book of ......" ? - QUOTES
38. Star - Center of all planets, who is a son of Manu- DHRUV
39. what are bloks ? - BLOG on BOOKS
40. On which country's flag Golden Eagle is present? -
1. Before stamps how were postage rate determined ? CANDLING METHOD - If the candle light passes through the envelop it costs less otherwise more
2. Film with 9 scientific errors ....
3. Describe "Muffin Top" ? Protuding Roll of Fat when one wears low jeans.
4. Rome Gladiator how did they ordered death ? Thumbs Up
5. Which cricket played only 2 matches in 1983 Cricket world cup and both of them(only)
6. Acoording 2005-06 census which country has maximum number of Tigers -
7. Oswald Maleno - short 12 minute film - screened Dec 1986 -> Rabindranath Tagore
8. What are Arasuram, Gandharva, .... -> 8 types of Marriages
Round -2: Picture &Audio
1. Pic+Audio, Douglas Adams
2. Ping Pong - Enrique Iglecias song is called "ping pong"
3. Visual : Zidane + Mira Nair and a lady next to her -> directing Little Zezu (nick name of Zenidiane Zidane)
6. Stamp - Paquebot -> Sent by ship
7. visual: two guys in front of Taj Mahal; Darryl Harper and Simon Taufel
8. Visual: Title of the book - Jungle book.
1. Purpose of Trackgandhi dot com ? To tracks Indian Currency Notes.
2. Jarasana v/s
3. Only film raj kapoor and dilip kumar acted together ? Andaaz
4. Thomas Alva Edison, Louis Armstrong, Lyla Ritchie ? Hello
5. What do you mean by Medial Capitals ?
6. Which is the most Commenest bird in the world ? Chicken
7. what's common between
8. Brown Bear hiebernates for 6 months in natural conditions, but in captivity does not hiebernate ? -> Because of scarcity of food during winter/
1. Audio of Queen, Elton John ... Connect -> John Lenon
2. Shakil O Neil
3. A Qawali song- was part of cassette of which movie - Sholey
5. Audio : Two Songs - 'Neel Gagan Se Chale Dharati ka Pyaar Dhale' & '-" : SAME RAGA
6. Audio of Chameli ki Shadi, Saawariya .. connect - Anil Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor
Buzzer Round +7, -5
1. Where do you find ..... ? Jantar Mantar
2. Lawyer Defended who defended Bal Gangadhar Tilak in 1916 - Md. Ali Jinnah
3. types of Stamps - fiscal, commemorative, ....
4. Middle East city 3 hill ranges and lava ->
5. T20 batsman time limit to come to crease - 90 seconds
6. Since 1731, 51 men and 1 woman have crossed this ? - Door of
7. Something related to Helen Keller ...
8. why there was 700 percent rise pencil sales in England 2005-2006?? For solving Sudoku
1. What does Maiya Maiya mean in Arabic (song from GURU, Malika Sherawat)-> water
2. Visual -> Dancers doing some weird dance : Choreographing Penguin dance sequence in happy feet.
3. Flags; Army Silk, Navy Woolen,
4. 2 words, 10th anniversary, one is blamestorming . which is the other one ? muggle
5. Video Clip from film Zanzeer picturised on some actors(not the leads). Who is the actor ? Gulshan Bawra.
6. which famous fictional accessory was made out of squirrel fur ? Cinderella's slippers
1. which book has 5894 hymns, always placed on cushion ... ->
2. Who was musician at
3. Indian 2 rupee coin is of shape hendecagon - how many sides does it have? 11 sides
4. In which country couples are wished by prime minister for 50th anniversary and by Queen for 60th anniversary ->